Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions
- PARTICIPANTS – The Nicholas Tarling Aria Competition is open to all ages and abilities. Entries from the South Auckland area are particularly welcome. Participants must be available for the Final Round on Friday 9th February 2024, 7.30pm, and for a rehearsal run through with piano Thursday
8th February 2024 at the Due Drop Events Centre, 770 Great South Road, Manukau. Winners must be available to perform at the Manukau Symphony Orchestra’s (MSO) Family Concert on Sunday, 16th June 2024 and attend rehearsals.
- ENTRIES – Entries for the Digital Round must complete an application form, with an accessible link to their performance on YouTube. These must be submitted through the competition website, www.tarlingaria.org.nz, and received by 11.59pm on 30th November 2023. LATE ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- DIGITAL ENTRIES – Videos uploaded to YouTube must have a clear view and audio of the person singing and must not be edited in any way. The participant may sing any song or aria of their choosing. Piano accompaniment is welcome, but optional. Videos must show a minimum of 2 minutes of singing. Participants must start their video by stating their name and the piece(s) they are performing. Singers who proceed to the Final Round will be notified within 10 working days of the closing date.
- PRIVACY – Digital entries will not be shared through digital media by the organisers or associated staff of the Nicholas Tarling Aria Competition and the MSO without expressed permission from the participant.
- JUDGES – Communications with the judge(s), either by competitors, teachers, or any other interested parties during the competition is prohibited. A judge reserves the right to communicate if appropriate. Judges’ decisions are final.
- SUBSTITUTE JUDGE – The MSO reserves the right to appoint a substitute judge in place of the announced judge.
- PRIZES – Prizes will be awarded at the judge’s discretion. Should a first equal prize be awarded, both the Winner’s and Runner-Up’s prize money will be combined and split equally. Prizes will be awarded as the Nicholas Tarling Voice Scholarship and the Nicholas Tarling Junior Voice Scholarship.
- REQUIREMENTS OF THE FINAL ROUND – Singers will perform two arias or songs with piano accompaniment, up to approximately 10 minutes total. Singers must provide a photo of themselves for the programme and digital platforms, and a digital copy of their music, including the title of songs/arias and composers for the accompanist and judges by Friday 19th January 2024. Please note that no person, other than officials, guardians of minors, carers, or guide dogs, will be permitted backstage or at the side of the stage.
- ORDER OF PERFORMANCE – In the Final Round, participants will perform in the order in which they appear in the programme. Any change must be with the
permission of the Competition Coordinator.
- MARKETING AND PUBLICITY – All participants in the Final Round and Winners Concert agree for their images to be used to promote the Nicholas Tarling Aria Competition in print and digital media platforms. Photographs from our official photographer Randy Weaver will be made available to participants free of charge.
- ACCOMPANIST – All finalists will be accompanied by the official accompanist, Rosemary Barnes, email@example.com. Additional rehearsals with Rosemary may be arranged privately at the soloist’s expense.