Manukau Symphony Orchestra
Aria Competition 2024
Are you a regular at your local church’s choir? Or perhaps you’re already an accomplished singer on the stage? Are you studying and getting ready to further your career overseas? Now is your chance to shine – step up, participate, and immerse yourself in the joy of singing at the Nicholas Tarling Aria Competition 2024.
All are welcome to join the Digital Round.
The closing date for entries is Thursday 30th November 2023.
Following the resounding success of the inaugural Nicholas Tarling Aria Competition we’re back to celebrate the power of the human voice. The Manukau Symphony Orchestra in association with the Nicholas Tarling Charitable Trust invites you to be part of the 2024 competition!
Auckland is brimming with talented singers, and this competition is your chance to step onto the stage and share your gift with the world. Musicians of all ages and backgrounds are invited to participate and experience the magic of performing. Our focus remains on the South Auckland community, as the Manukau Symphony Orchestra strives to support local talent and provide a starting point for future musical careers.
First Prize Winner $5,000 and recorded performance with the Manukau Symphony Orchestra
Runner-up Prize $3,000 and recorded performance with the Manukau Symphony Orchestra
Most Promising Singer Prize $1,000
18 Years and Under Prize $1,000
OPENING DATE MONDAY 25TH SEPTEMBER 2023 / CLOSING DATE THURSDAY 30TH NOVEMBER 2023
Upload a video of your singing to YouTube, and submit the completed application form with the link of your recording by 30th November 2023. The entry form will be available on this website shortly. Applications will then be judged by official adjudicators, with selected participants invited to a live performance with piano at the Due Drop Events Centre.
THURSDAY 8TH & FRIDAY 9TH FEBRUARY 2024, DUE DROP EVENTS CENTRE
Accompanist: Rosemary Barnes
Finalists will be invited to perform two arias with piano on 9th February, to adjudicators, friends, and whānau in a Final Round. Winners will be announced at the end of the evening.
FIRST PRIZE WINNER AND RUNNER-UP PERFORMANCE
SUNDAY 16TH JUNE 2024, 5.00PM, MSO FAMILY CONCERT, DUE DROP EVENTS CENTRE
The First Prize Winner and Runner-up will perform popular arias with the Manukau Symphony Orchestra at the MSO FAMILY CONCERT on Sunday 16th June 2024.
Congratulations to those involved in our Winners Performance on 21st May 2023 at the MSO Family Concert
how to upload your video
Upload your audition video
in 6 easy steps
1. Set up your space
- Make sure you have good lighting and a quiet room.
- Set your camera/phone approximately 2 metres from yourself so you have room to move and our judges have a clear, full body view of you.
- If you are using a music stand or holding sheet music, make sure it is not blocking the sound between you and the microphone.
- If you have a piano to accompany you, make sure the piano is approximately 3 metres from the microphone behind you or to the side so as not to overpower your voice on the recording.
- Do not apply any audio or visual effects to your video. Only the Judge will be viewing your performance and will assess your application on your vocal ability alone. We do need to see clearly that it is you who is singing.
2: Choosing your song
- You may sing any song you wish but make sure you choose a song that suits your voice type and you are comfortable singing. Keep in mind the Final Round will require you to sing an Aria from more classical repertoire.
- Your song will need to have at least 2 minutes of singing,
- Your song may be accompanied by piano or unaccompanied.
3: Get Recording!
- Take a deep breath! Start recording, and state your name and the piece you will be singing. (This is so the judges won’t mix up the recordings!)
- Take a moment to calm yourself, then start singing.
- Hit the stop recording button and congratulations you are done!
4: Upload your video to YouTube
- See the video above how to upload your video to YouTube. You will need to create a YouTube account which is free to do.
- If you are uploading from your phone or other device, please see the instructions on this page.
- When selecting Visibility for your video, please list this as Unlisted. (Unless you are happy to make it public)
5: Copy the link to your video
- Once your video is published as Unlisted, select and copy the URL at the top of the video.
6: Fill in your online application form
- Start your online application here.
- Make sure you paste the address for your video in the ‘Link to your Recording’ box. Fill in the rest of the application form, and Submit.
Celebrating South Auckland
The number of incredible vocalists from the South Auckland area is astounding, and it has been a long-held aspiration by the Manukau Symphony Orchestra to host an aria competition for singers, to support them in their future careers.